Saturday

HDTV Antenna: Need or Not ?

Are you in the market for a new TV, but you don't know if you need an HDTV antenna? Unless you have a set top cable box or a satellite dish, it's almost certain that you need to purchase an HDTV antenna before you can enjoy high quality HDTV programming.

What's So Great About HDTV?

As an HDTV owner, I can tell you firsthand that I would never go back to traditional low definition television. I got my first HDTV set a couple years ago, and when I got the HDTV, no antenna was needed because I upgraded my set top cable box to include a digital video recorder, or DVR, so I could record my favorite programs without having to hook up a videocassette recorder.

I bought this HDTV during the baseball season, and I'll never forget my first few minutes of watching. One of the players hit a home run into the stands. I don't remember who it was or even what teams were playing or what stadium they were playing in.

What I remember about that firs HDTV baseball game is that, when the camera closed in on the fan who caught the home run ball, I could not only see the fan, showing off the ball to his friends in the seats around him, I could read the time of day on the guy's wristwatch. It read 3:40 p.m. You can never get that kind of clarity on a traditional low definition TV.

You Don't Need Cable Or Satellite To Get Local Programming

Virtually all of the regular broadcast channels that sent analog signals out over the airwaves are also sending their digital high definition signals the same way. If you have an HDTV antenna, you can receive these high definition signals and watch HDTV without incurring the trouble and expense of cable TV or satellite TV.

What Do I Need To Know About An HDTV Antenna?

First of all, calling it an "HDTV antenna" is actually a misnomer. What you are looking for is an HDTV tuner. An antenna is a resonating piece of metal with certain electrical properties. Now, it is true that some antennae are optimized for HD signals, so if picking up HD channels is important to you – and it should be – then watch for antennae that have those optimal features.

The Consumer Electronics Association has divided the United States into antenna zones based on the way signals travel over the airwaves. So, an HDTV tuner, or antenna, that works in one part of your city may not be the best antenna for you. The best way to determine the HDTV antenna, or tuner, that you need is to contact the Consumer Electronics Association to find out which antenna is recommended for viewers in your neighborhood.

No comments: